White privilege is saying that AAVE(African American Vernacular English) is “desecrating the English language”.
These people don’t know how language works because they never feel that way about English people saying “I’ll take me coat” or “the building you’re sat in”.
If AAVE or other POC-related dialects were exactly the same, but affiliated with white people instead of people of color, they would be a “cute accent”.
submitted by: firework-comic
Editor’s note: I often think of this when white supremacists and racists talk about AAVE, language is the human capacity for acquiring and using complex systems of communication, so if white people hate AAVE because it sounds complicated or doesn’t sound ‘right’ then they shouldn’t speak English because all English speakers do is mold their words to most accurately illustrate what they want to communicate. If white people don’t understand AAVE that just goes to show it’s a legitimate dialect.
Words like abdabs, cheeky, cuppa, pants, chips, chav, and arsed all have different meanings in the UK than they do in English(or don’t exist), and even within the UK some words have different meanings(or don’t exist).
People like to down-play how much other languages distinguish themselves through their dialects, especially English speakers. Regardless of the fact that English is a very clear example of how there is no ‘right way’ to speak it.
Dialects, sociolects, and ethnolects of English are all valid. People only hate AAVE because it is something that seems exclusive to Black people and it comes from a language that we were denied full access to for a really long time.
AAVE should be respected for what it is.
- masalaskywalker reblogged this from jasonferulo
- marskittlesglitter reblogged this from madblackgirl
- therantingsofateenageschoolboy reblogged this from awfully-distracted
- bestardustwithme reblogged this from awfully-distracted and added:
- lesrevesdoux reblogged this from awfully-distracted
- madblackgirl likes this
- queeriesandmore reblogged this from bmoburns
- bmoburns likes this
- celestial-fox likes this
- rebekahloves likes this
- relaxitives likes this
- blaquerose reblogged this from everythingrhymeswithalcohol
- somanybears reblogged this from inthelightyouwillfindtheroad
- frozenvalves reblogged this from bmoburns and added:
- birthfetus likes this
- alyisaclown likes this
- quote--mania likes this
- dessalyn likes this
- wisdomsmind reblogged this from bangsdickyeobo
- wisdominkorea likes this
- dudekeepyourpantsoff likes this
- brandnewjones likes this
- 53rdstreet reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- artisansoulleader likes this
- nappychan reblogged this from everythingrhymeswithalcohol and added:
- foreverspectator reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- foreverspectator likes this
- unosixo likes this
- blueskyalltheway reblogged this from bmoburns
- theendeye likes this
- gradientlair likes this
- meltingchains likes this
- mynameisjef likes this
- radioactive-nerd reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- deviantfemme likes this
- sassygaybiblescholar likes this
- bbruisess likes this
- qkazoo reblogged this from ebinnflow
- squishmaster reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- liftlaughlust likes this
- karethdreams reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- ghostarewe likes this
- plumapeso likes this
- harrowsford likes this
- cold-november-air reblogged this from tweezing
- garden-of-proserpine likes this
- yanguang likes this
- ashptc likes this
- dream-twister likes this